Sunday, May 12, 2013

oh yeah--RACE REPORT!

so, i totally had a race today. New England Season Opener Tri. short-ish sprint distance.

heh.

my goal for IM Lou, and all of the training & races in between is to have fun.

for me, this means not being a crazy person...being the first one in transition, checking and re-checking my times, speed, splits, etc. for the most part, i accomplished the non-craziness. i didn't do ANY recon on the course. didn't ride it, didn't drive it. i didn't even know which way to turn out of transition (for the run or bike...) and i showed up to transition on race day 15min before closing time. i was amazed to get in and out in only a few minutes. i forget how little you need gear-wise for these sprints! such a breeze.

found my buddy Erica, walked over to hear the announcements, and immediately was shuttled toward the docks to start. walked into freezing water. no hyperbole here, people. that water was 59 degrees!! gun goes off! swim swam breath shudder shiver swim swam 4 bouys gone and i'm out! such a short swim, 440m i think?

quick out of the wetsuit (the heavy downpour helped with this), onto the bike. immediate uphill and crazy descent all in rain i can barely see 100m in. took it easy on the bumpy downhills. i'm kind of (VERY) scared of downhills anyways. without a downpour. without aero bars. without big bumps and cracks. so i took it easy, feathered the brakes, and tried to stay upright/alive. hammered my brains out on the uphills, flying past all the crazy people who flew past me on the downhills. got passed by loads and loads of people, mostly cray men (one of whom crashed on the next turn. dummy.) i almost let it get to me, but then i reeled myself back in. my training race. my IM training. no one else's. focus. and then back into transition before i know it (only a 10mi bike).

rack the bike, out on the run, back up the big uphill again. but you know what? i catch a glimpse of my bebe and the CTO and i feel like i'm flying. i've never felt so strong on a run before. head down reciting my running mantra up the hills, flying and smiling ear to ear on the downhills. felt a skosh twingy in the R hammy and quad in the last few 100m, but nothing too scary. finished with a giant smile on my face, feeling like i could do it all over again (a few times.)

it's amazing how in just a few months my fitness has changed so much. i've never felt this awesome during (or after) a race before. and i went h-a-r-d. racing on mother's day was also a ball--my hot husband and sweet kiddo on the sidelines, cheering me on. one hamburger patty, one coke, a bunch of grapes, and a fizzy water later and i'm ready to head home.

don't know my time. don't know my splits. the race results board said i was 11th in AG. shme. i could have been 111th and i would have been just as happy--that shit was FUN.

hope y'all have a happy and fun mother's day!

2 comments:

  1. I love the motto of having fun! That's my goal too. With a freezing cold, wet race like the one you just did, you have to just try to keep a smile on your face and have fun! Good for you! Keep up the good work! Louisville will be a piece of cake if we both can just have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE reading this. Esp. compared to the weekend suffer fest post below, which I plan to get to. You are a badass. What did I tell ya - you're good girl, and IMLOU is gonna feel this way too!!!!!!!!!!!!! Work it!

    ReplyDelete