Thursday, April 11, 2013

absence

my paternal grandmother went in and out of the hospital and rehab three or four times last month for various infections before she finally said 'enough is enough; take me home.'

it took a week or two for my dad and his 6 other siblings to get it organized, but Grandma went home from the hospital on hospice care on the Saturday before Easter. seemed appropriate to have her home that weekend--as a devout Catholic, Easter was her favorite holiday.

that night, my dad and his brothers and sister, their spouses, and some of the grandkids ate pizza, laughed, and told stories in the kitchen. they took turns going in to see Grandma. at one point, Grandma told my mom 'I'm home.'

at 6:28am on Easter Sunday, my sweet Grandma died.

she was in her own bed, in the house she and Grandpa lived in for 40+ years, knowing that all but one of her children were there to support her.

i'm not happy that she's gone, but i'm happy that she got what she wanted: to be 'home.' Grandpa died almost 20 years ago when Grandma was 71. she's talked a few times in the last 3 years about 'going home' to be with Grandpa.

i'm glad you're home, Grandma. we will miss you.



1 comment: