Wednesday, November 28, 2012

caffeine + GU

as a haver-of-a-sensitive-GI-system, i have to be careful with my caffeine intake.

the one time i'm guaranteed to ingest caffeine (other than nightshift at the hospital. i mean, c'mon) ??
DURING RACES. i wasn't sure if the boost was more psychosomatic than physiological, but either way, it seemed to work.



my caffeine intake on race days usually looks something like this: a cup of joe/espresso as soon a i wake up, a caffeinated GU 20min before my wave start, 1 caffeinated GUqhr on the bike, and 1 caffeinated GUq30min on the run. i am a frequent bathroom user, and i've never had to stop during a race to use the port-o-potty (for poop, that is.)

npr's health blog 'shots' covered the topic briefly.

do y'all use the caffeine GUs? if so, what's your strategy?

1 comment:

  1. I do, but I try to alternate them with Gu's with no caffeine. I read an article a few months ago regarding caffeine intake and heart deaths during endurance events, and it got me thinking that maybe I should watch the caffeine take a little. I wish I could remember the article and what it said. Of course I have no idea if it is true or not.

    I always start my day with a cup of coffee. Always. No exceptions or someone might get hurt.

    ReplyDelete