Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Louisville training weekend day 3

woke up before the ass-crack of dawn to run the course early. i decided the night before that i missed my family too much and wanted to get back Sunday night, instead of Monday afternoon. that meant a SUPER early 13.1 all by my lonesome on the course. can you hear the 'yay' in my voice?

my hotel was in downtown Louisville, not far from transition. this made it easy to jog to the start and follow the new run course.  for those of you that don't know, they've cut the big bridge out of the run. this made the run essentially flat. well, it FELT flat compared to the bike.

the downtown area is like most other big city downtowns...sort of ghetto. i took mace with me on the run, no joke. almost thought i was going to have to use it when a drunk bum woke up as i ran by and startled me/us.

how did the legs feel, you ask? oh terrible terrible terrible. it was U-G-L-Y. ran 10:15-10:30s, but they felt like 13min/miles. shoulders were all twitchy. and my mental game was all 'wah wah poor me.' but i did it.

then i drove home. 17hrs. worst drive ever. 3hrs of standstill traffic in PA. 2hrs of rain in WV and PA that only allowed me to go 30mph. ass-hat drivers in NJ. sooo hard to sit still for that long.

the only good thing to come out of that drive home: amazing town names. my top two:

1) Shartsville
2) Mianus

you'll have to wait on pins and needles for this week-in-workouts post.



3 comments:

  1. I love the "ass-hat" reference. Is that a New England thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. truth be told, i have no idea where it comes from. i don't think New England, though, or it would have been 'wicked ass-hat.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. That drive home had to be BRUTAL! Are you glad you did the training weekend? At least you know what to expect come race day. Keep up the good training! I'm looking forward to meeting you.

    ReplyDelete