Friday, July 19, 2013

& etc.

how is it that i can swim 4km in the pool, in 1:20-1:25 (~2:00-2:08's/100m), but average 2:35's or more in open water?

i don't sight horribly. i mean, i'm not perfect, but i've never wandered off course. i get jittery before the start, and have hyperventilated a few times in the first 100m or so. but i certainly don't feel panicked, like i'm going to die. (i know this is a legit feeling that people deal with--it's just, i don't.) i eventually get into a rhythm and feel fine. i push it. not crazy hard, but push enough to match my 2:00-2:10 efforts in the pool. when i push harder, i fall into shitty form.

i can still finish IMLou in time to beat the cutoff with a 2:35 split. but c'mon. i'd rather finish 20 minutes sooner. bah.

suggestions? anyone? anyone? Bueller?

all the whining about being slow aside--today's 4km was a good effort. i love the post-long-swim sleepies.

speaking of sleepies.... i am now in the phase of IM training where i prefer to sleep over eat. i contemplate consuming the contents of my fridge semi-regularly throughout the day. a month ago, i went with the urge 100% of the time, and ate a bagillion calories a day. don't worry now--i still eat enough to fuel the Duggars for a day, but nowadays i actually consciously choose to take a nap instead of eat *another* peanut butter banana sandwich.

also, tomorrow is the Tin Mountain Conservation Center's Century ride. 100 mi and 5000ft of elevation change. can you guess the forecasted weather??

RAIN!

going to be a SUPER WIENER going down the mountain in wet conditions on a tri bike. think they'll let me ride up the mountain, and then SAG wagon it down to the bottom, so i can ride up the next one? i think i'd rather do 100mi of uphills than 50mi of downhills.

Mama Nature's cruel joke to me will be a dry, hot IRONMAN after all of these humid, rainy long ride days. what else can a girl do but ride through it?

ride update to follow Sunday. 'til then, happy training, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. I think you will make it. The first part of the race, as you know is against the current. I swam about 12 minutes slower than I thought I would against my time from the pool, but it was also because I went wayyy on the outside away from everyone. I was happy that I was not pulled out of the river by race officials for freaking out. A few moments of bobbing in the water and telling myself it is game day did the trick to keep from having a panic attack. Not bad since I had a complete panic attack the day prior in the same body of water during the practice swim.

    You will make it, I have faith in you!

    ReplyDelete