Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ironman Louisville 2013

To state the obvious: I signed up for IMLou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beyond excited (and terrified.)



On Sunday, August 25th, 2013, I will try my hand at the full Ironman distance. This has been a life-goal of mine for some time now, and the stars have aligned in my personal life to allow time for training. Once this season is over (after Lobsterman on Sept 15th), I'll get to serious planning. For now, family and friends have been notified, hotels are being investigated, and I'm on the lookout for some great training races in the New England area. Any people on the interwebs have suggestions for summer training races up here??

Another big question I've been mulling over is: to get a coach, or not to get a coach?

Thus far, my 3+ years of tri training have been essentially on my own. I train with friends occasionally, but "organize" my own workouts. I use the term "organize" loosely. For the post-baby tri season, I started using Matt Fitzgerald's 'Essential Week-by-week Training Guide,' and have made SIGNIFICANT improvements in all three disciplines. So much so that I'm questioning using a coach at all. Part of me knows I could do this on my own (and earn extra bad ass points), but part of me knows I could probably do much better overall and perhaps enjoy it more if I have a coach to guide me. One of my main goals for this race, other than to finish, is to have FUN. But, there's the cost of coaching...anywhere from $150 to $300+ a month for coaching plans, for 6-7 months.

IM veterans on the internets... what say you??

4 comments:

  1. I did not have a coach and made it just fine. I am more of a fly by the seat of my pants girl when it comes to training. I bought the book Be Ironfit and read it and loosely followed one of the training plans.

    I had a goal number of workout hours and knew to focus more on the weak link. I was afraid that if I had a coach, they would make me feel bad for mixing things up so much. I hate being tied to a training schedule.

    Again, just my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    Congrats! Ive done 2 and im signed up for Louisville also. This is a great race north of Boston. Give it a try. http://www.sunmultisportevents.com/Patriot_Half.htm

    Good luck in Louisville. Im sure you will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paul, I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Em,

    I'm doing IMKY too, and it'll be my first Ironman. I just started my training today. I'll be following your journey, and I might just meet you in Kentucky! Good luck, and let me know if you need any encouragement.

    Matt Smith
    go-smitty-go.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete